This site contains affiliate links to products, and we may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
If you’re like most people, you probably have a Fitbit. They are incredibly popular devices, and for a good reason – they help people stay healthy and motivated. But what happens if your battery dies? Can you change the battery in a Fitbit, or do you have to take it to a professional?
You can change the battery in a Fitbit yourself, and it’s actually pretty easy to do. All you need is a small screwdriver and a pair of tweezers. You can find replacement batteries online or at your local electronics store.
In this article, I will give you a step-by-step guide on how to change the battery in a Fitbit. I will also provide some tips on prolonging the life of your Fitbit battery.
How to Change The Battery in a Fitbit
Changing the battery in your Fitbit involves exposing the internal components of the device. If you’re uncomfortable doing this, I recommend taking it to a professional.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- A small screwdriver
- A pair of tweezers
- Razor blade
- Soldering iron
- A replacement battery (you can find these online or at your local electronics store)
Step-by-Step Guide: How to Change Battery in a Fitbit
- First, use the screwdriver to remove the back cover of your Fitbit. Be careful not to damage any of the internal components.
- Gently slide the tweezers underneath the screen to detach and lift it. You should be careful because the screen is attached to the motherboard using adhesive.
- Once you lift the screen, use the screwdriver to remove the center screw holding the motherboard in place.
- Detach the battery from the motherboard by carefully heating up the solder points with your soldering iron and then using the tweezers to pull it off.
- Now that you have removed the old battery, it’s time to install the new one. Start by tinning the leads of the new battery with a small amount of solder. This will make it easier to attach the new battery to the motherboard.
- Once you have tinned the leads, align the new battery with the solder points on the motherboard and carefully heat the solder until it melts. Be careful not to overheat the battery or damage any of the components.
- After attaching the new battery, reattach the screen and screw the back cover on. Your Fitbit is now good as new!
Reasons for Changing Battery in a Fitbit
There are a few reasons why you might need to change the battery in your Fitbit.
1. Old Battery
The most common reason is that the old battery no longer holds a charge. If you notice that your Fitbit isn’t lasting as long as it used to, it’s probably time to change the battery.
2. Water Damage
Another reason you might need to replace the battery is if your Fitbit has been damaged by water. Water can cause corrosion and damage the internal components of your device. If you think your Fitbit has been damaged by water, I recommend taking it to a professional.
However, some Fitbits are water-resistant and can handle being submerged in water for short periods. If you’re not sure your Fitbit is water-resistant, check the manual or contact customer support.
If you want to upgrade your Fitbit to a newer model, you will need to replace the battery. Newer models have different batteries that are not compatible with older models.
4. Damaged Battery
Sometimes, batteries can become damaged from overuse or exposure to extreme temperatures. If you notice that your battery is swelling or leaking, it’s essential to remove it and replace it with a new one.
Tips to Avoid Changing the Battery of Your Fitbit Too Often
Here are some tips to help you avoid having to replace your Fitbit battery too often:
1. Exposure to Extreme Temperatures
Avoid exposing your Fitbit to extreme temperatures, which can damage the battery. The battery is most likely to be damaged when exposed to temperatures below freezing or above 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
If you live in an area with extreme temperatures, I recommend taking your Fitbit off before going outside. You can also try wearing it under your clothes to keep it warm.
2. Water Damage
As I mentioned earlier, water can damage the internal components of your Fitbit. To avoid this, I recommend taking your Fitbit off before swimming or showering.
If you accidentally get your Fitbit wet, make sure to dry it off as soon as possible. You can also try using a hairdryer on the lowest setting to help speed up the drying process.
3. Regular Charging
It’s important to charge your Fitbit regularly, as this will help extend the battery’s life. I recommend charging your Fitbit at least once a week.
If you notice that your battery is running low, try charging it for a few hours before using it again. This will help prevent the battery from becoming completely discharged.
4. Avoid Overcharging
While it’s important to charge your Fitbit regularly, you should avoid overcharging it. Overcharging can damage the battery and shorten its lifespan.
I recommend unplugging your Fitbit once it is fully charged. You can also try using a power strip with a built-in timer to help prevent overcharging. Avoid charging it overnight or for extended periods altogether.
5. Use Only Original Parts and Accessories
It’s essential only to use original parts and accessories with your Fitbit. Non-original parts can damage the device or cause the battery to fail.
I recommend buying replacement parts and accessories from the Fitbit website or an authorized retailer. This will help ensure that you’re getting high-quality products that are compatible with your Fitbit.
You can change the battery in your Fitbit, but it’s essential to know when and how to do it. The process starts with removing the back cover of the Fitbit using a small screwdriver. You will then need to remove the old battery and insert the new one.
Finally, you’ll need to put the back cover back on and screw it into place.
I hope this article has given you some helpful information on whether you can change the battery in a Fitbit.