This site contains affiliate links to products, and we may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
Airpods are the perfect way to listen to music or podcasts. But sometimes, it can be difficult to hear them over background noise. This can be a problem when you’re trying to listen in a busy environment or trying to focus on a task. You may wonder, “Can My Airpods Block Out Background Noise?”
Apple Airpods minimize background noise to some extent in all models. The Airpods Pro and Airpods Max, on the other hand, feature many superior noise-canceling capabilities than the first, second, and third-generation AirPods.
In this blog post, I will discuss whether Airpods can block out background noise and how to enable or disable this feature.
Can My AirPods Block Out Background Noise?
The Airpods Pro and Airpods Max feature superior noise-canceling capabilities than the first, second, and third-generation AirPods. You can actively reduce background noise when listening to music or podcasts with these models.
The Active Noise Cancellation feature on the Airpods Pro works best in quiet environments with consistent background noise, like an office or a train.
The Transparency mode on the Airpods Pro and Airpods Max is great for when you want to hear what’s going on around you without completely removing your earbuds.
How to Enable and Disable Noise Cancellation on Airpods
Transparency Mode, Noise Cancellation Mode, and Off are all options for Airpods Pro and Airpods Max users. These may be accomplished in a variety of ways.
One method employs a physical switch or sensor on the Airpods themselves, while other methods rely on Apple products such as iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, and more.
Let’s go through them all.
Enabling Noise Cancelling using the Airpods Sensor
To enable noise canceling on your Airpods, you should hold down the Force Sensor button until you hear a chime.
You must press and hold the sensor on both Airpods to switch between Noise Cancellation and Transparency Mode when wearing both Airpods.
Many individuals wear just one pair of Airpods while at work to focus on both work and music, so if you’re one of them, you’ll need to take a few more steps to get it set up.
- Go to your iPhone or iPad’s settings.
- Select the Accessibility option from the drop-down menu.
- With only one AirPod, you can turn on noise cancellation.
You may now use the Noise Cancellation function with only one AirPod.
The Airpods Max is the best Airpods model. Furthermore, Airpods Max is the only over-ear Airpods available.
Although it is clear from the price that it has Active Noise Cancellation, many consumers are uncertain how to turn on noise cancellation with Airpods Max. To get started with ANC in Airpods Max, follow these easy steps:
- Simply pair the Airpods with your iPhone or iPod.
- Click on the Noise Control Button to switch between Transparency Mode and Noise Cancellation Mode.
- A chime confirms the change.
How to Switch Between Noise Cancelation and Transparency Mode Using Other Apple Devices
You can opt to block background noise using your apple devices such as iPhone, iPad, Mac, or Apple Watch. Using all these alternatives is very simple to enjoy the noise cancelation feature.
iPhone or iPad
You can block background noise either from the control center or from your iPad or iPhone setting.
Make sure you’re wearing one or both Airpods and that they’re linked to your Apple device.
- On your iOS or iPad OS device, open Control Center.
- Press and hold the volume button on your iPhone or iPad when wearing Airpods Max or both Airpods Pro until you see additional controls.
- In the lower-left corner of the screen, tap the Noise Cancellation symbol.
The procedure for turning it off is the same. Instead of switching on noise cancellation, click on the off button in the last step.
- Connect your device to your Airpods Pro or Airpods Max.
- Then navigate to the Bluetooth section of settings.
- In the linked list, look for the name of your Airpods.
- Click the details button next to the name to launch another activity.
- You will find the toggle button for Noise Cancellation under Noise Control and activate it by simply touching it.
Enabling Noise Cancelation Using Apple Watch
To change the setting:
- You must connect your Airpods to the phone connected to your Apple watch.
- Click the airplay symbol while listening to the audio on your watch.
- Then three alternatives will appear on the screen.
- To activate Noise Cancellation, go to the Noise Control Label and press Noise Cancellation.
- To turn it off, repeat the steps above and click the off button in the last step.
Enabling Noise Cancelation Using Mac
To block background noise using your Mac, wear your Airpods in your ears to make sure they’re connected. The noise-canceling function may be turned on in two ways.
The first option, open the Menu bar, tap the volume button, then tap the Airpods Pro or Airpods Max symbol, then tap Noise Cancellation.
Another option is to go to the Apple menu and select System Preferences. Activate Bluetooth. Next to Airpods, choose Options. Select Noise Cancellation from the drop-down menu.
Enabling Noise Cancelation Using Apple TV
Most Apple TV customers are unaware that they can use their Apple TV to operate their Airpods Pro and Airpods Max. They have questions concerning using Apple TV to enable noise cancellation on Airpods. To block background noise:
- Pair your Apple Airpods Pro or Airpods Max with your Apple TV and connect them.
- Access the Control Center by pushing and holding the TV button on the Siri Remote until it shows on the screen.
- Activate the Airpods button.
- Toggle the Noise Cancellation switch on.
Similarly, you can turn off the Noise Cancellation function by tapping the off button after choosing off.
Airpods can block out background noise, especially Aipods Pro and Airpods Max. Considering how much work goes on in the background to eliminate background noise, noise-canceling technology is quite amazing.
I hope this article has helped you learn how you can block out background noise using the Airpods themselves or any other Apple device at your disposal.
Espen is the Director of ProPairing and has written extensively about Bluetooth devices for years. He is a consumer product expert and has personally tested Bluetooth devices for the last decade.