This site contains affiliate links to products, and we may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
The echo dot is a great way to get the features of Alexa without having to buy a full-fledged Echo. However, you may wonder whether you can connect an Echo Dot to a Bluetooth speaker.
You’ll need a phone or tablet, the Alexa app, and a Bluetooth speaker to connect an echo dot to a Bluetooth speaker. Next, you’ll use the Alexa app to connect the Echo Dot to your speaker. Once you’ve done that, you can use voice commands to control the speaker.
In this article, I will show you how to connect your Echo Dot to a Bluetooth speaker.
How to Connect an Echo Dot to a Bluetooth Speaker
Connecting your Echo Dot to a Bluetooth speaker is easy and only takes a few steps. Read on for a step-by-step guide on how to do it.
- A phone or tablet
- The Alexa app
- A Bluetooth speaker
To get started:
- Place the echo dot and the Bluetooth speaker within 30 feet of each other. This is necessary to establish a connection between the two devices.
- Download the Alexa app on your phone or tablet. You will use the app to connect the Echo Dot to your speaker.
- Disconnect any other Bluetooth devices from your Echo Dot. The Echo Dot can only pair with one device at a particular time.
To begin pairing the echo dot to a Bluetooth speaker:
- If you haven’t already taken your Dot out of the box, connect it to your home Wi-Fi network by following the usual setup instructions.
- Turn on the Bluetooth speaker.
- Put the Bluetooth speaker on pairing mode.
- Launch the Alexa app on your mobile device and tap the hamburger icon in the top-left corner.
- From the main menu, choose “Settings.”
- Under “Device Settings,” select the Echo Dot you want to pair with a Bluetooth speaker.
- Tap “Bluetooth Devices.” The app will search for nearby devices.
- Select your Bluetooth speaker from the list of available devices.
- The Echo Dot and the Bluetooth speaker are now paired, and you can start using voice commands to control your speaker.
How to use a Bluetooth Speaker connected with Echo Dot
Now that you know how to connect an Echo Dot to a Bluetooth speaker, you can enjoy all the Alexa features without worrying about buying a separate speaker.
After a successful connection, the speaker will appear in the Alexa app’s list of Bluetooth devices.
Additionally, your Echo Dot will inform you whether the pairing was successful.
The sound will now be sent over your Bluetooth speaker when you ask Alexa to play your preferred music or do other tasks.
The Dot and speaker should now automatically link after this first setup. If it doesn’t work, simply say “Connect” to Alexa, and the Echo Dot will connect to the most recent device.
You may need to attempt an alternative strategy when a procedure doesn’t work:
First, reset the devices by turning them off and on simultaneously, unpair them from one another, and then pair them once again.
How to Disconnect the Echo Dot from a Bluetooth Speaker
If you ever need to, you can easily disconnect your Echo Dot from a Bluetooth speaker. To do this:
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile device and go to “Settings.”
- Under “Device Settings,” select the Echo Dot paired with the Bluetooth speaker.
- Tap “Bluetooth Devices” and then tap “Disconnect.”
Click on the name of your Bluetooth speaker when using the Alexa app, then choose Forget Device to completely erase the entry for that device from the Alexa app.
Watch as the entry vanishes from the list of Bluetooth devices that are linked.
You will have to repeat the pairing procedure if you want to connect it again at a later time.
Benefits of Connecting an Echo Dot to a Bluetooth Speaker
There are many benefits of connecting an Echo Dot to a Bluetooth speaker. They include:
Another benefit is that you can move your Bluetooth speaker around with you. So, if you want to use Alexa in the kitchen, living room, or bedroom, you can easily move the speaker to that room.
2. Improved Sound Quality
One of the main advantages of connecting an Echo Dot to a Bluetooth speaker is that it significantly improves the sound quality. The Dot’s built-in speaker is good but can’t compete with a dedicated Bluetooth speaker.
3. More Control
Connecting an Echo Dot to a Bluetooth speaker gives you more control over the audio. For example, you can adjust the volume and EQ settings directly from the Alexa app.
How to Troubleshoot Connecting an Echo Dot to a Bluetooth Speaker
If you’re having trouble connecting your Echo Dot to a Bluetooth speaker, there are a few things you can try:
- Make sure the Bluetooth speaker is in pairing mode.
- Restart both the Echo Dot and the Bluetooth speaker.
- Unpair the devices and then pair them again.
- Forget the Bluetooth speaker from the Alexa app and then pair it again.
- You can contact Amazon customer support for help if you’re still having trouble.
Can I connect an Echo Dot to a Bluetooth speaker?
Yes, you can connect an Echo Dot to a Bluetooth speaker. You’ll need to put the Bluetooth speaker in pairing mode and then connect it to the Echo Dot using the Alexa app.
Can I connect multiple Bluetooth speakers to an echo dot?
Yes, you can connect multiple Bluetooth speakers to an Echo Dot. However, you can only play audio from one speaker at a time.
How do I change the default Bluetooth speaker on my Echo Dot?
To change the default Bluetooth speaker on your Echo Dot, open the Alexa app and go to “Settings.” Then, under “Device Settings,” select the Echo Dot paired with the Bluetooth speaker. Next, tap “Bluetooth Devices” and tap on the name of the Bluetooth speaker you want to make the default.
Connecting an Echo Dot to a Bluetooth speaker is a great way to improve the sound quality and give yourself more control over the audio. The process is relatively simple, but if you’re having trouble, there are a few troubleshooting tips in this article.
I hope this article has helped you learn how to connect an Echo Dot to a Bluetooth speaker.